Friday, September 07, 2007

My Worst Nightmare


The girls ride a bus to school and this is a first. At our old house we lived very close to the school that Chloe attended and I had to take her to school everyday. This wasn't a big deal considering I stay at home with them. But I have to say I was thrilled when I found out that they could be bussed to and from school. Call it being a lazy mom, but the fact that I didn't have to get everyone ready and out the door by 8:15am excited me. Last week things went smoothly with the girls and the bus. They have memorized their bus number and know the routine of the bus. I knew it was too good. Yesterday afternoon I was outside waiting for the bus and I see Chloe crying as she is getting off the bus. I don't see Janey. I immediately ask Chloe what is wrong and she said Janey got off at the wrong stop and that she tried to yell for her not to, but she did anyway. I stopped the bus to ask the driver about my other little girl and he says, "Oh, I think I dropped her off at another stop back." He said this as if it wasn't a big deal. Are you shitting me asshole!!!!! I don't let him finish talking, I grab Nolan and tell Chloe to get in the van. I drive all over our neighborhood, she is nowhere. Chloe then tells me Janey was sitting with a little boy and got off with him. I still can't find her. I am in hysterics! I drive home get my cell, but then I don't know what to do but call the police. So that's what I do. Then they tell me to stay at home and they are sending an officer to my house. I don't want to stay at home, I WANT, NEED to go a look for my little girl who is only 4 and having a birthday on Sunday and I just bought her birthday presents today, and she can't be missing, this is not happening to MY FAMILY!!! I felt like I was in an effing movie and I was sitting in my driveway crying and trying not to puke. My phone is ringing and other lines are beeping. The school calls, my brother calls, Tom calls. They have found her, and the school gave me the address to where she was. I flew to the house and a nice lady opened the door and then my baby girl came running to me. I am sure I looked like a nutball to this woman. I repeatedly said 'thank you' and 'I am sorry' to the lady all through tears and sobs and kisses. Janey did try and follow a little boy and then got lost and tried to walk home, but then a dog that wasn't on a chain scared her so she started back from the way she came. This lady's son saw Janey wandering up and down the sidewalk and told his mom that there was a little girl outside that looked lost, so she went out and took Janey into her house, got her name and called the school so they could call me and let me know that she was safe. This all probably lasted 20 minutes, but it felt like hours and I still didn't feel quite right even later in the evening. I didn't know where my child was for 20 minutes and there are parents in the world who don't know where their children are and it has been YEARS! I cannot imagine......it is my worst nightmare.

* i apologize if this post is written with terrible grammar, I just don't feel much like editing it to make it read better....I promise a more positive and uppity post next time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG, thank goodness you found her and she was safe. I can only imagine your horror.

Angela said...

Oh, Kara, how scary!! I am so glad that everything is okay. I can not imagine!!!

AMANDA said...

I was almost in tears reading this. I can't imagine how scared you were. Thank heavens that everything turned out okay.