Thursday, September 20, 2007

Finding a Cure

I don't know how many of you watch Oprah. But she recently had Jenny McCarthy and Holly Robinson-Peete on her show and they spoke out about their sons having Autism. They spoke of startling statistics with children and Autism. Not too long ago, the ratio of children with Autism was 1 in 500, and as of late it has grown to an absurd 1 in 150!! And of that, it is 1 in 94 boys. 1 in 94!! That is entirely too many children, parents, siblings, grandparents and aunts and uncle having to face this neurological disorder. I have a nephew who just turned 15 who is Autistic, so I am close to someone suffering from it. My nephew is an incredibly smart and intellectual young man. He is in mainstream school and just started High School this year. So far, he is getting along very well and doing great in all of his classes. He just isn't very social to family or people in general. Although, he does do great with Nolan and Janey by being a great older cousin to them! It is heartbreaking to hear and read stories from parents that are trying to accept and move forward after getting an Autism diagnosis. Some parents never get to have eye contact with their children, or have their children show them affection or even hear them say, "I love you Mommy and Daddy".
My nephew Ryan.



Jenny McCarthy has a new book out regarding her journey of helping cure her son of Autisim. I can't wait to get my hands on it and read someone elses thoughts on this. I know that there are organizations and also the Center for Disease Control trying to find a cause and a cure for Autism, but it isn't happening fast enough. As I said before, the statistics are startling and how many will be affected in a few more years? Hopefully, a miracle will happen and Autism will be wiped out, and no other children will have to be "lost" inside themselves anymore. I hope and pray that someone will find a cure for Autism.


For more information on Autism visit here or here.

1 comment:

Mollie said...

I saw something on this and Jenny McCarthy, it was so sad and beautiful at the same time. We have so much to learn about ourselves, children, and how our bodies work. I'm with you, there is a cure out there, we just need to look a little harder. Great post!