Monday, July 30, 2007

Vodka


Ah, yes the Appletini. Oh, how I adore you. So crisp and refreshing and tasty! Yum! Unfortunately, I am limited to only one of these little guys at a time. TWO at the very most. You see, me and vodka.....we have a love/hate relationship. We don't mesh well together. And it goes way back. The first time I EVER tried drinking(besides the occasional sip of beer from my Dad). I was trying vodka, and it was the most retched tasting stuff I had ever tasted. To me it tasted how I imagined rubbing alcohol would taste. I didn't even drink it, just tasted it and I still got busted for drinking it. I should have stopped there. Fast-forward a few years to freshman year at Ohio State. Lemon drops. Wow, delicious. But I lost count of how many I ingested. And I drunk dialed, an ex-boyfriend, told him I loved him because in truth I thought I was going to die that night from too much stinkin' vodka. Then I spent all night in a dorm bathroom with my head in the john. Good thing I had great girlfriends to take care of me then! ~Hi Guys!~ The good thing is that I did end up marrying the drunk dialee and everything is peachy now!


Fast forward again like 4 more years. I am now newly married to the one previously mentioned a.k.a Tom, living in Idaho and we are at our friends house drinking and playing cards. I am drinking vodka and cranberry juice.(It was my way of cutting calories-no beer, just vodka and juice. Yea, I was thinking right!) Anyway, too much vodka, too much juice, an argument ensues, turning into a real yell at and hurt each other fight and I wind up calling the airlines at 2 or 3am requesting flights back home to Ohio. I was leaving him. Dear Lord, what was I thinking. This was by far the worst fight we have ever had in almost 10 years of marriage and it was within the first year or so of getting married, and quite frankly, the vodka was to blame.


Finally, a little over a year ago. the Appletini. Man, oh man they are good! Tom and I were having our own little party and shakin' our mixer and having a grand ol' time. Again, I have no idea how many of those pretty green drinks I tossed back, but we were in the kitchen, laughing hysterically and I slipped and fell flat on my my face. I kid you not, on my face. It was quite funny. But the terrible thing was, that we had to get up in a few hours and go to church. That's right I said church, I had to confess that I drank too many appletinis. But we also had to meet with friends for lunch who had recently moved afterwards. I had the worst hang-over ever. I even had to get up in the middle of service and go to the bathroom. That is just awful. But I will tell you, nothing has ever tasted so good as that burger and Coke from Ruby Tuesdays.(Hi Angela)And it darn near cured my hangover.


So there you have it folks, my love/hate relationship with vodka. I love it, it hates me. Thus, being the reason I only allow my self one of these delicious babies at a time.

1 comment:

AMANDA said...

I love this story, especially drunk dialing the ex, and that was Tom. I feel the same way about Vodka. In high school (you probebely already know this story, but) we would skip class and steal bottles of V, then go to my house and do lemon drops.
Now-a-days, I know that i would be much thinner if I drank vodka and soda, rather than beer, but i don't know my limit with vodke, and i love my beer.